|Puff Pastry Chicken Pocket with rice and mixed veggies|
Fair warning, these take a bit of work and can be very messy to make. Its not that they are hard to make, they just take time. I usually make the filling the day before I plan on making them for dinner. You can also make a big batch of filling and freeze it for later use if you wish.
For the Filling:
- 2 Tbs butter (you can use whatever type of oil or spray you want, but butter tastes the best)
- One small onion (or half of a large one)
- 4 to 5 strips of bacon (I use Turkey bacon, tastes the same but its less fat)
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken (breast or thighs) cut into small chunks.
- 3 Tbs flour
- 1 1/3 cup chicken broth
- Veggies (use whatever you want, mine have carrots, peas, and green beans, broccoli works well too)
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder (you can use fresh garlic instead), and parsley
For the Pastry:
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
- 3-4 egg yolks
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
Also, If you are using fresh garlic instead of the powder, you would want to add it before you cook the onion and set it aside.
Cook on low for 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and let it cool down.
Put it in to bowl, cover, and set inside the fridge for at least 2-3 hours. The sauce must be stiff before you add it to the pastry or it will run and cause problems.
Like I said earlier, I usually make the filling the day before.
Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
I serve these with rice and veggies. For the rice, I replace the water with chicken broth and add a bit of adobo for seasoning.
My son and his father love these and asked me to make a beef version so I will be making those some time next week and I will let you know how they come out.
Also, sorry for the dramatic decline in picture quality half way through. My camera died and I didn't have any back up batteries so I used my Ipad to finish up.
|My messy table after making these!|